My vulnerable parents in-law were 'debanked' by HSBC > 자유게시판

본문 바로가기
13th 유네스코 세계문화유산

자유게시판

My vulnerable parents in-law were 'debanked' by HSBC

페이지 정보

작성자 Chassidy 댓글 0건 조회 2회 작성일 24-09-22 13:49

본문

My elderly parents in-law had their joint bank account closed by HSBC in December. We don't really understand why but HSBC said it was because of 'safeguarding issues'.

It sent them a cheque with the balance - around £35,000 - but they have no other account to pay it into. Before they told my husband and I in January, they had been living on food they had in the freezer and a small amount of cash borrowed from another relative.

img.pngI would describe them as being sheltered and vulnerable. They live in a remote part of the country and 핸드폰요금연체인터넷가입 have no access to the internet. Between them they have various physical and mental health issues.

Without a bank account they can't access their pensions. They also have no vehicle as they are unable to tax, insure or MOT their car. We are helping them pay for food and bills, but won't be able to afford to much longer.

'De-banked': Our reader's 'vulnerable' parents in-law had their HSBC current account closed - leaving them without access to money as they struggled to open a new one (stock image)

My mother-in-law has been into her nearest branch - still miles away from her home - eight times to try and sort it out. Most times she was told to go online or make a call. But when she made a phone call with my help, we were told to go to the branch.

My father-in-law struggles to walk so it is hard for him to go with her. Sometimes they say a signature from him will be enough to open the account, but other times not.

My mother in-law had no ID, so I also had to get her a provisional driving licence. HSBC is one of the few banks that will accept this, so we can't simply go elsewhere.

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

The customers complaining they had their bank accounts... My ex-husband raided my Barclays savings pot to the tune of... FCA fires warning shot at NatWest over Coutts crisis CRANE ON THE CASE: HSBC froze my small business bank account...

Share this article

209 shares

They eventually did manage to apply for a 'basic' bank account in April, but this was declined due to a credit card issue. My parents in-law say they don't have a credit card, but again could be confused.

Essentially, HSBC is saying that they were given warning about the account closure and should have addressed it earlier. 

I know my they may not have done what was required, but do you think you could get HSBC to reconsider? We are running out of options. Anon, North Wales

Helen Crane of This is Money replies: 'Debanking' - when a financial institution closes someone's bank account against their will - is all over the news at the moment due to Nigel Farage's complaint against Natwest-owned Coutts.

That story revolves around an exclusive private bank where customers must have serious sums of money at their disposal.

Your parents in law's story, which I was saddened to hear, shows that being 'debanked' can have much graver consequences for those at the other end of the income scale.
천년고찰 대흥사
서산대사 유물관
유네스코와 함께 하는 두륜산도립공원
두륜산도립공원
우 59047 전남 해남군 삼산면 대흥사길 154(구, 구림리 140-11) Tel. 061.530.5957
상호 : 두륜산도립공원 관리사무소(해남군청) / 대표자 : 명현관
Copyright © 두륜산도립공원관리사무소. All rights reserved.